Is it me or did it really kind of start to feel like summer this week? Perhaps it’s the warmer temps we’ve had towards the end of this week, or the fact that we watched fireworks in lower Manhattan from the balcony of our Brooklyn apartment last night (anyone know what those were for?!?), but it really is starting to feel like summer. In true CC form I whipped out the ice cream maker last night- look forward to a recipe from that foray on Monday! Here’s what else has been on my mind this week:
- I’ve been very focused on being easier on myself lately. This is sort of a constant struggle for me, something I’m always working to be better at- placing less guilt, pressure, and expectation on myself. All those things can serve as great motivation, but I tend to let them get the best of me more often than not. Does that ever happen to you guys? Any tips on letting go of some of those feelings?
- I was reminded of the how important is it to catch up and talk shop with my “colleagues,” freelance or entrepreneurial folks who are in the same boat as me. I had an amazing brunch with my dear Jessie and the sweet ladies of Verily Magazine earlier this week. I’m still feeling fueled and inspired by our conversation. Love that!
- Ps if you haven’t subscribed to Verily, you definitely should! You can get a taste of the content on their website, but you don’t want to miss out on the print version of this beauty- what these ladies have created is pretty incredible.
- One more thing on this brunch- we ate at Peels on Bowery, which I had never been to. Food was incredible (I got the spring vegetable hash), and the decor was just darling. Definitely going back there.
- Loved the feedback and comments on this post about taking pride in your work. It’s nice to know I’m not alone here, and I so appreciate all the advice you guys provided! It’s also given me some ideas on future (interactive) Biz Notes post… so stay tuned for that!
- Speaking of being proud- I’m so proud (yes, proud!) of a project that came to fruition this week! I helped create a video for one of my recent clients, M.M. LAFLEUR. We showed the video at their launch party a few weeks back, but the video is now available online. It features the amazing story of some truly inspiring ladies- I tear up every time I watch it. You can view it here.
- Like many of you I’m sure, I was incredibly touched by this refreshingly honest post from Kendi. It’s made me think a lot about some areas I’ve been hesitant to discuss on CC, and made me realize it might actually be better to be open and honest about them rather than excluding them from this space… we shall see.
And with that, I’m off. I leave for a quick 24 hour trip to Dallas tonight for a project with Real Simple, and then it’s back to enjoy the rest of my weekend with a Sunday dinner party. Happy weekend, everyone! xx